Privacy policy

Tuesday 14 August 2018

I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls


Frilly and Funky has been challenging us to make something using some type of marble effect, arches or columns. I managed to include all three.


I was interested to see if I could make a marble effect with distress ink. The green patterned paper I used has a faint crackle design. I put several colours of distress ink onto my craft mat and spritzed it once or twice then applied it to the paper using a crunched up cellophane bag. I mopped off any dark spots immediately so the effect was quite soft. Then I stamped a tiny hint of cracks using some of the dark green distress ink from my mat. My arch was cut with a Movers and Shapers die creating two openings in a three fold card.


I have managed to get columns in on the front using a lovely old stamp by Beeswax. On the other two panels I stamped small areas of Latin text and some stonework in Watering Can Archival ink


I wanted to use one of the arches cut from the paper to make a kind of Roman icon image on the back section. I have tried gilding random areas on previous projects but for this I wanted to try and make a totally gold background around a stamped image. First I stamped the image in black archival ink. Then I carefully painted size all around it with a very fine brush. The size is like a tacky glue. The idea is that the gilding should only stick to the sized areas around the image.


Next I applied an imitation gold leafing sheet right over the whole thing. Then I wiped away the gold leafing in the image area (I used my fingers as I was wearing cotton gloves for the process). And Yay it worked!


Finally I coloured the image with distress ink mixed with a little water. Again I used a very fine brush. I love the delicate effect of distress colouring with the lush gilding. I think it adds a real touch of magic to the image which has the drama and mystery of all Lynne Perrella's stamps. The finished 'Roman icon' is coated with a glaze to stop the gold leaf from tarnishing (you don't need to glaze real gold leaf only the imitation stuff).


This stamp is called Sweetbriar which is the name used for Sleeping Beauty in lots of traditional versions of the Grimm's fairytale. I wanted this fairy tale woman to be surrounded by tendrils of ivy. My ivy leaves are die cut from green patterned paper and darkened with green distress inks.


The leaves are shaped on a foam mat and then glued individually on top of the stems (cut from a branch die) on the front and back panel. The figure can then be viewed though the ivy arches.


The edges have a tiny touch of texture and glint from a mix of embossing powders (Ranger Antiquities California Stucco, clear and regular gold powders, and some Stampendous Frantage Aged Silver). I often combine my powders to create something that tones in with my project. I love the way the frantage leaves big splatters of gold randomly over the paper.


I really enjoyed making this card and following my inner fairytale.




I am linking this card to Frilly and Funkie's challenge

And also
Stamping Sensations who are challenging you to Use your 'current' favorite stamp.
The Artistic Stamper  whose August Cretive Callenge is anything goes so long as a stamp is the centre of your project and for me it usually is.

Stamps used:
Latin Text from Woodware
Stones from Paperartsy - Architecture Plate 3 (Ink and the Dog A6)
Arches  from Beeswax
Sweetbriar Lynne Perrella stamp by Stampington

Dies used:
Sizzix Susan's Garden Thinlits set "Leaves, Fern & Ivy"
Memory Box Graceful branch oval
Sizzix Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers sized arch

8 comments:

  1. A really pretty creation with a lovely shape and elements of interest, many thanks for sharing a favourite stamp with us at 'Stamping Sensations' challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the way you embraced this challenge! That marbled background is gorgeous. I also really love the repeating arches. This feels Old World, so it's a perfect match for the challenge guidelines. Thanks so much for playing along in the August Challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just STUNNING, Amanda! I love this triple fold card and your genius way of repeating the arch to give this so much dimension. Your background is gorgeous, and makes me want to shrink down and become a part of this lovely bricked garden.

    I'm hear as a friend, but while I'm here I will thank you for playing along at Frilly and Funkie, too! We love seeing your artwork in the gallery! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! That climbing ivy is a triumph and really drawers you in and that marbled background is wonderful. Thanks for joining us for the August challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back to say CONGRATULATIONS on being one of the DT's favorites at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty creation. love the colour and that mixed media feeling.
    Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing card ! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us at The Artistic Stamper
    WIshing you good luck to win beautiful stamps !

    ReplyDelete